Tuesday, March 15, 2011

st. paddy's day whoopie pies

the initial idea was to make green velvet whoopie pies.

but then, thankfully there were enough reviews out there that steered me away, everyone complained of the cakes being too dry, no matter the recipe.

in my head, i have been stuck on making whoopie pies for some time now.  i don't know why, i think the closest i've ever come to actually eating one was a devil dog.


do they even count?!?

my go-to food website of all-time is epicurious.  when i started getting too cheap to buy bon appetit, i went to the website instead...plus, gourmet is on there, too.

i found a recipe with great reviews.

whoopie pies.

the recipe asks for buttermilk.  i know most people don't have this in their fridge, so what you can do is add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to the milk and let it sit for 5 minutes.  i did this and they still turned out great.

they turned out beautifully.  and may i add...they are huge!!  my dd thinks she's going to get one all to herself.

i'm bracing myself for her disappointment.

besides adding sprinkles or something fru-fru like that...the only way i can think of to make this st. paddy's day-ish is to add green food coloring to the icing.


store them in the fridge, take out 10 minutes before you plan on eating them.  

if you give these a try, lemme know what you think.

(do not...i repeat, do not drink these without a glass of milk.  check your fridge before you indulge.)

have a happy day!

jill

3 comments:

  1. LOL...the milk situation is under control in my house...my hubby always leave the empty milk gallons right where I'll see them (by my coffee machine) and since he drinks whole & I fat free, he makes sure he lets the shortage be known lol.

    I too have been toying with the idea of whoopie pies; one of my friend's at the farmer's market where I have my bakery stand keeps hinting at me to make them by sending me different recipes... Now you're making want to try them and I already have the beef stew to make (I went to fresh market this morning to buy my ingredients ^_^)
    Hmm...how about adding pistachios to the frosting? ...yum!
    We should have a bake-a-thon you and I *_^

    P.S...how did the bathroom turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i buy milk, 3 at a time...the kids suck up milk like it's their job:)

    make whoopie pies. i couldn't think of a dessert more appropriate for farmers markets than whoopie pies. seriously...this recipe was really good. you could individually wrap them in wax or parchment paper and tie them up in butchers twine...or something like that.

    bathroom is coming along. should be done done this week:)

    did you ever get my message i sent you?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noo I didn't get your message!!...email me ok melissa@assetfidelity.com *_^

    Happy Leprechaun's Day!...I hope your little ones have a grand time with their yummy whoopie pies!!!

    I'm off to make the beef stew! yum!!

    ReplyDelete