Tuesday, April 5, 2011

ruffles and stuff

one of my favorite, if not my favorite, cake designers, is my sweet and saucy out in cali.  

melody does such great work.  her cakes are the style that i would like to replicate the most.  

so simple and elegant.  










i'm such a wanna-be-cake-maker.

she recently started a cake stand supply store, in addition to her bakery in long beach. my sis-in-law is getting married out in the san diego area in may.  i am seriously taking a trip to stalk out this place. 

these cake stands are to die for.


and smack dab...almost...in the middle is that ruffle cake that i adore.

i have made it one time before for a baby shower and it came out pretty nice.  it was surprisingly easy to decorate.

my girlfriend's daughter, v, who is also my future daughter-in-law, had her first birthday yesterday.  so what better reason than to make another ruffle cake.

i attempted to take pics of the process, but then i forgot to take pics after i crumb-coated.


can't say i didn't try?!?!

you're in luck anyway, because melody has a great tutorial of how to do a ruffle cake.  it's better than any picture i can take.  

how'd v's cake turn out, you ask?!




here's the birthday girl going to town-ish.




that's more like it!  you show that cake who's boss!!



i'm a cake maker wanna-be, what kind of wanna-be are you?  

hope everyone is having a great day in this crummy weather. and if you live far away and have sunshine...get out and enjoy it...for me:)   we have a cloudy/rainy five day forecast. sadness.

xoxo

jill

10 comments:

  1. Get practicing bc I'm hiring you for my wedding (whenever that happens. Just giving you ample prep time now :-P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the heads up haems. but, unless you are getting married in 2 months...i am NOT driving an hour with a wedding cake in my car. not enough protaz in the world to calm those nerves!! hmmm...unless i do it in pac's kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of making cakes more that putting all the work into it. Although, we do try it from time to time here at our house. I love watching "Cake Boss".

    ReplyDelete
  4. love, love the ruffle cake! and thanks for the tutorial. i just did a cake-decorating birthday party for my daughter a few weeks ago - she loves cake boss and wants to be a baker when she grows up. i'm posting about it next week, if you're interested in seeing it drop by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ruffle cake is the cutest.
    found you through mcmamas community. I love your blog lay out, its super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. jenny- the mess and time that cakes take to make seems overwhelming at times. but once someone sees the cake you've made them...it makes it all worthwhile:)

    Kristie- if I could do it all over again...I'd go to school for pastry arts...encourage your daughter to take some cake decorating classes. thanks for stopping by...hope to see you around:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're awesome. V's cake looked great! I should hire you for my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jill Ann, Those cakes like amazing. I especially like the ruffle cake. Wow! It looks to pretty to eat, but the little birthday girl is sure having fun with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Alyce and Patti. im not sure what was more fun, making it or watching v tear it down?! whens ur bday alyce?

    ReplyDelete
  10. crap. i keep forgetting you're moving. now i'm sad! AND i don't get a ruffle cake at my wedding? double sad!

    ReplyDelete