Monday, February 21, 2011

Jesus is my homeboy

for anyone who semi follows me, knows i don't capitalize.  i usually don't make exceptions, not even a big t for tablespoon.

Jesus.  He is the exception.

this pic is painfully awkward.  but it cracks me up.

Jesus is a huge part of my life.

(He died for my sins, the least i can do is capitalize His name.)

i grew up going to sunday school.  probably the same reason everyone else went:  parents wanted us out of the house.  i never really understood the whole Jesus thing.  i got confirmed into the presbyterian church, but i had no idea what the heck it meant.

v.i.p. pews, perhaps?

once i got confirmed into the presbyterian church in eight grade, i stopped going to anything having to do with the church.  the idea in my head of what church was, was a group of boring people (mostly old ladies with blue hair) singing hymns and preaching directly out of the bible and not saying anything relevant to me.   then there was also the kid in my high school that was all about Jesus. in an obnoxious, wwjd, in your face kind of way.  i feel bad that i thought that about the kid, but now i
get it.

my parents weren't Godly people, either.  i don't think they ever spoke of Jesus when it wasn't in vain.

it wasn't until rob and i were married a few months that we found a church. (more like the church found us.)  we wouldn't have done it on our own, but how do you say "no thanks" to a neighbor who  keeps inviting you?!?  i'm pretty convinced God put our neighbor in our life to annoy us about going.  we finally went just to shut him up and if you know who i'm talking about...it's pretty hard to shut him up.

we went.  we loved it.  we've been hooked on this Jesus thing for four years now.

it has been life changing.

i am a different person.  i feel it in my bones.

i'm kinder.  gentler.

my heart breaks for people who are hurting.

not sure what my marriage would look like if we didn't have Christ in our life.  the model of marriage that was imprinted in my head was that of my parents.   to say the least,  that marriage didn't turn out so great.  i am grateful for learning how to communicate in love.  without it,  a marriage can't survive.

right now, rob and i are part of 217church in hamilton, nj.  it is the daughter church of the church we used to attend.

church service is held at the amc movie theater.  that alone is a cool enough reason to come and check it out.  it is a little weird smelling popcorn while worshiping the Lord.  but, cool nonetheless.

they just had their grand opening yesterday.  it is pretty amazing to see how one idea of a church plant turns into something so...well....amazing.

i could write a whole entire post about the wonderful things that are happening and the lives 217church is transforming, but i'll save that for another day.  let's just say its legendary.

here's the article that came out today in the paper.

i wasn't able to go to the church in the morning since i was finishing up the celebration cake for the grand opening event, but was pleasantly surprised to hear hubby made a recommitment to Christ during the service.  since it's always better to do anything as a team, i am also recommitting myself.




i'm not sure what recommitting ourselves will look like, but i am looking forward to doing this with my hubby.  we make a good team.

i'd love to know where are you with your faith.

thanks for stopping by...good night.

jill

3 comments:

  1. I am Catholic...my hubby is a "believer of something bigger than us" without a particular denomination....I have to say I don't visit church often, but I do believe very very much, I pray, I give thanks for all the things I have, which I know are thanks to him really.

    P.S...Love the cake & cupcakes!!,they look so beautiful! I'm sure they
    all loved and appreciated it!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. faith is such a personal thing, i'm just curious to see where everyone is if they have it...and if they don't, i wonder why.

    for me, even when i wasn't sure of what i believed..i knew there was something greater than us. i took a genetics course and the intricate manner of how patterns of nucleotides determines who we are is just crazy. mind blowing crazy. it didn't just happen. it had to of been created that way. and how we have the concept of right and wrong and morals and relationships and love.

    i'm getting too deep...let me back off:)

    but thank you for the comment about the cupcakes and cake...i have to say i was very pleased with how the cake came out. i have a pretty shaky hand...so my gf $hellbug cut out the church logo. it made the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. rob = me. i was on hubby's account by accident:)

    ReplyDelete