Thursday, February 17, 2011

spring is a comin'

dang, it was warm today.  who would have thought in the middle of february we'd be in the sixties?!  then on top of that, one of my most favorite things to see in the winter is when they put up the seed rack at our local supermarket.

which tells me, spring is a comin'.  woot. woot.


look at all the other goodies they have.




for the budding gardener.



planning my garden is no longer in the back of my mind. but rather, slowly creeping towards the front.  which reminds me, i never cleaned out the plot we had at our community garden.  

so i did a drive by.


all of our crap is still there.  covered in snow, but it's still there. 


if these weren't hybrids, i'd totally save them for this upcoming season.  they were vanilla marigolds.


these guys are thai, lemon, and red rubin basil.  i will come by again with baggies to save the seeds.


we were suppose to have everything cleared out by december fifteenth.  however, it snowed while we went away for thanksgiving and it never melted.  i can't be bothered with taking down a plot with two kiddos, frozen ground, and getting "betty white" dirty inside.  (if you look close enough, you can see her in the background.) 

such is life.  

what i would like to grow this year since i will have a permanent garden:
  • ramapo tomatoes
  • dahlias that don't taste good to the neighborhood ungulates 
  • roses that can defend themselves against black rot 
  • zucchini that can defend themselves against those darn cucumber beetles
  • eggplant that can defend themselves against those darn flea beetles
  • zinnias that can defend themselves against those darn japanese beetles
  • spring peas
  • onions
  • garlic
  • potatoes
  • sweeeeet potatoes
  • poppies

that'll do it for now. 

how wonderful will it be to walk out my back door and water my garden.  heck, the irrigation will probably be able to water it most days.  gone are the days of carting two kids across town to water a garden.  

good bye, community garden, it was nice to have met you.  


so, whatchu growin' this year?

jill

4 comments:

  1. I just found out about a month ago that our town started a community gardens program a couple of years ago. I wish they would have advertised it because I totally would have done it last year. This year I definitely wont. Not a huge fan of the idea of handling that with a newborn. :-) I'll focus on growing that little one for now.

    Where we live, we aren't allowed to plant vegetable plants in the ground. We can, however, plant them in pots. So I might do that since it'll be right next to the house. Not sure what would be best to plant in that scenario yet though. I might do tomatoes. My parents always have really good luck with tomato plants in pots in their backyard. But we'll see. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi andrea- tomatoes are great for pots. just be sure they get plenty of direct sun. and water. look for determinate type tomatoes, indeterminate will keep growing really tall.
    growing herbs are also another great idea. think basil, parsley(i'm not a fan of it personally, but i know there are people out there that like growing their own). oregano, thyme. really, anything that you like to use when you cook would be good. plus, it;ll save you lots of time and money.
    you made the right choice with not doing the garden. i did the garden with both of my kids, my son was just a few months old last year and i was carting him along to garden. it eventually gets too hot to bring them. wait till he gets old enough to dig holes...that'll keep him busy:)

    thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Jill!, honestly!!..you were reading my mind!...hehe; I am on total "gardening mood"; I've only lived in a condo with my hubby, and now having bought a house with 1.5 acres is making my Martha Stewart (her gardening side) come out and "bloom"; last year I grew tomatoes, peppers and oregano from seeds, they grew beautifully, I had over 40 little peppers, and about 10 big growing tomatoes, and then the first frost came, and eveything got ruined :(

    I am now getting ready to start planning my garden, actually tomorrow I have planned to go by Lowes and get some gardening gear, and head over to my garden plot behind our house, and start clearing up the leaves, and branches and such; I plan to make raised beds with brick siding, and have so many things: 3 types of pumpkins, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, all types of herbs, lavender, and lots of flowers for cutting and making my own arrangements like black poppies, and wild flowers, as well as my favorite flowers (5 veriety of pink & red Peonies).

    I have such great expectations of my new gardening love; I really was so thrilled to see my work pay off, but obviously I have not been introduced to "frost" and didn't even think of it....so my veggies froze to death wiuuuu.

    I will take pics of what my garden looks like so you can see ^_^

    P.S... Sis, you sound like you've got a green thumb, so any tips are welcome!!

    Happy sunday!
    Meli

    ReplyDelete
  4. MeLi- my degree is in plant biology, soooo I guess you can say I know a thing or two about plants. My studies were mostly in turfgrass, but I took a handful of cool classes classes like organic farming, plant propagation (my favorite class), mycology and integrated pest management. So I think I have a pretty well rounded understanding of plants.

    my general rule of thumb: plant everything on mothers day and thereafter. frost usually NEVER happens after this day.

    i LOOOOOOVE peonies. they are absolutely my favorite flower and am so glad you reminded me, i need to look for bulbs for the fall. i loved growing flowers, zinnias always made really nice bouquets. I'd also like to get some dahlias...my other fave flower.

    ahhh. garden dreaming has been halted. reality just set in. it's still cold here and just snowed, to boot.

    sigh.

    spring will come.
    ttyl

    ReplyDelete