Thursday, February 3, 2011

things that don't mix

oil and vinegar:



emotions and wine:



"This wine is too good for toast-drinking, my dear.
You don't want to mix emotions up with a wine like that.
You lose the taste."
— Ernest Hemingway


will ferrell and drama:
(not to mention syrup and spaghetti.  barfaroni.)

you ask, where the heck are you going with this.  (be patient, i have a point.)

it's been nearly ten years since i last ran.  i used to run in college, but quit after stress fractures tore my shins up.  

at the time, i was happy to give it up.  the training was intense.  the time commitment made it a challenge with school.  plus, my coach was kind of a d-bag.  

there have been years that have gone by where i probably didn't run a single mile at any one time.  huge change to the ten plus mile training runs each day that i was accustomed to.  

however, i miss it so much.  first of all, i don't feel healthy.  i am, by no means, a large person.  i'll tell people i feel out of shape and they look at me like "are you nuts!"  yeah i look thin, but i am soooo out of shape.  my butt jiggles when i run.  it scares me.  

second thing i miss is beating people.  i'm not really competitive.  but, there is nothing like beating someone in a race that makes me smile. winning is awesome, i'm not gunna lie.



a girlfriend of mine asked me to sign up for the nyc half-marathon, last june.  i really didn't think we'd make the lottery, so i didn't train while it was warm.  sure enough, i got in.  

i thought to myself, i'll just start training january first.  which i did, then i got sick.  then it snowed, a lot.  then i got sick again.  then it snowed four more times.  now i'm healthy.  but we have a crazy amount of snow.  five am runs in twenty degree weather sucks.  i'm really good at coming up with excuses (did i mention i'm losing my first toenail due to a blister and it hurts too much to run?!?!)  i know, poor me.

here's my point.  snow, kids, and training do not mix.   

i don't want to give up.  but, i'm not sure how well this race is going to pan out.  worst case senario:  i get picked up for running too slow.  

thank God, tomorrow is a new day.  i'm going to re-start my training.  

jill









2 comments:

  1. Jill, first of all KUDOS!, you're inspiring, and I know about looking fine, and being out of shape...I have slowly fallen off the workout wagon, and now I don't seem to have the energy to even think about it!!...and now living here in Raleigh when I used to live in Miami doesn't help either (waking up to windy coool weather is not motivational for someone who's looking for any excuse to not go jogging *_^)....I say go for it!!, maybe we should keep track on each other's training goals...and be nicer coaches than your d-bag coach was to ya!...YOU CAN DO IT!
    Happy Friday!
    XoX, Meli
    http://domestiquette.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meli! I tried going this morning with my training partner, but my kiddo woke up two hours too early. #fail i'll prolly go for a run tonight..somehow?!?! btw, my goal is to finish the race. i have no time goals, except not to run slower than a 13 minute mile...they pick you up if you run too slow:/
    do you have any goals?

    ReplyDelete